Monday, August 5, 2019

Monday Morning Memo: Number Two

Next Tuesday we teachers in the Nebo District for Schools report back to our posts. I'm excited, I love my job and summer has worn out its welcome.

Some people wonder how I could possible enjoy a profession where I have to interact constantly with teenagers.  I admit, teaching is not for everyone, but here five things I love about teaching:

I love . . .

- November.  This is when my students start to not hate me.  My teaching style is an acquired taste (kind of like Pork Rinds) so when the students first come in they are not sure what to make of me.  By November they start to understand my sense of humor (although they don't always appreciate it) and they realize I'm not as boring as they first thought.

- when students turn in something to me and tell me how stressed they were about the assignment.  I like when they get a little stressed (but not too much) because then I know I'm pushing them.  And if I'm pushing them, then I know I'm doing my job.

- the excitement that accompanies the beginning of a school year.  Not everybody loves school, there are some who seriously hate it, but a lot of students (although they would deny it if you asked them) enjoy being at school, at least at the beginning of the school year.  By February that's not always the case, but in August it's kind of exciting.

- knowing that when my kids get to high school, I am going to have all kinds of options of checking up on them. 

- those rare occasions when the majority of the class thinks I'm funny.  I know that is hard to believe, but it does happen.  In twelve years it's happened only two or three times, but when it does, man, those classes are fun to teach. 

No comments:

Post a Comment