Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Monday Morning Memo Number Four

Where I reside there are lots of orchards.  Lots and lots.  Especially popular, for reasons unknown to me, are cherry orchards.  Because of this, around the middle of July to the middle of August, cherry harvest mania grips southern Utah County. 

What does this mania consist of you ask?  Well, it consists of many, many, many teenagers, Nebo School District employees, and others heading to the various cherry plantations to stand at conveyor belts watching cherries roll by for three to four weeks of intenseness (some of my brothers, who who worked said conveyor belts during their high school days, probably still have nightmares).  There are two different shifts: 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. or 7:00 p.m. to 5:00 a.m. six days a week.  (This clip will give you a good idea of what it is like but there are a lot more cherries than chocolates.)

Luckily for me, I avoided the conveyor belt madness and was able to drive a forklift around all night on the graveyard shift.  Although I didn't love all of it (especially from about 2:00 a.m. to 4:00 a.m. when I wasn't sure the shift would ever end), I actually really enjoyed "working cherries".

Here are some observations:    

- There's something about really difficult work that, upon completion, makes you feel good about yourself.  (Kind of like when you go running).

- There are obviously some less than impressive people in this world, but there are also a lot of really good, really honorable people of every age, gender, and race out there.  People are good. 

- This was my view all night.  Pretty cool right.  (Disclaimer: Just so you know, this is not a picture I took because both my camera and the camera operator are total garbage).

No comments:

Post a Comment