Friday, September 20, 2019

Monday Morning Memo Number Five

I teach high school history.  I love teaching high school history.  Today is the beginning of the fifth week of our new school year (midterm).  This time of year is my favorite time to be teaching.  Students don't hate me or the school yet (most of them anyway) and I don't hate my students . . . yet.

Here are the things I like most about teaching:

- I literally never get tired of learning about history.  I especially love historical politics (I know, I'm a nerd). 
- It keeps me young (relatively speaking).  I'm sort of old-fashioned anyway so if I wasn't around young people, I think I would be really old-fashioned.
- I really enjoy seeing my students grow up.  You might not think there are any 18 year-olds that are actually grown up, but if you could have seen them as 15 year-olds, you would think differently.
- I'm excited for the day when I can have my students keep me updated on my children. (This is theoretical since the oldest is only ten, but I'm really excited to put it into practice when the time comes).
- Most of all, I love to see them be successful. They get so excited when they succeed. I really enjoy seeing those moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment